Friday, March 30, 2018

3rd Quarter Blog Reflection

CARE - Reflecting on what I have assisted SOC with over the past Quarter, I realize that I have been integral in the CAREing for not only my community but also in my SOC class and my Student Organization. I have participated with the SOC to help with the TNHS Blood Drive, and we successfully saved 273 lives with the donations. This is a massive CARE initiative that has great impacts on our community. Also, I was greatly focused on the welfare of the Winter Formal. I not only assisted with the decorations for it, but I also played a role in the video and the cleanup as well. The success of the Formal was so great that it has allowed the SOC to have enough funds to continue through most of the upcoming school year.

Within my SO, I have provided much needed emotional support and positive feedback and supplied our officer staff with a myriad of service opportunities ranging from helping at the NC ELC to the FHES Winterfest Event. Encouraging students to stay connected in the SO builds relationships and provides opportunities for them to make a positive difference. While we have not specifically helped Parkway Baptist Church in any service events, it is due to the fact that they are a large successful partner that didn't require our help. However, we are currently in the process of contacting Active Day to see what we can do to help them. Although we haven't engaged in our official community partner service project, I have still learned the value of service and how much of a rippling effect it can have on the community when people witness those around them helping each other. We currently have the National Honor Society Student-Staff Game quickly approaching and I would like some help in planning and filming a video. Any ideas, participation, or overall support would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, Tennis's first match takes place next week. We have been working with both Mr. Merrifield and Mrs. Kephart on building the strength and team work of our team through conditioning and practice. Certain members such as Andy Hughes have been essential in strengthening our team, and the enthusiasm and effort that the students have been putting in to prepare is really inspiring. They were also hoping to run concessions for the Student Staff Game, which will be a great opportunity to form a partnership between my two SO's and a great way for them to connect and get to know each other better.

As for CONNECTing with the community and our peers, I have been very active in the SOC class, working with other SO's and assisting them when I can. I am currently assisting in the planning of the "Old School vs. New School" Game that will take place towards the end of the year, and the bi-weekly NHS officer meetings have done a lot to help with clarification for our future plans. Not only this, but the entire Tennis Team recently went on a large fundraiser to sell spirit wear. We went out into the  Thomas Nelson community and spread the word about our upcoming season. We now not only have branding to support the team, but we have a widespread influence and base of people that are much more aware of the tennis team's success.

Additionally, I am connecting with Caroline Boone nearly every day to ensure that every Tennis Match is posted on Twitter, and I retweet and like every single post in order to spread the word. While my follower base on social media is not very high, the collaboration between myself and Caroline has been a great help in increasing community support and celebrate the success of our team and players. This has been my primary source of communicating game times because my Blogger has not turned out to be as successful in reaching the community despite my efforts to spread the word and it being on both the TNHS Athletics Excel Sheet. I have maintained my blog and kept up with it when necessary but my primary focus has been around social media and especially Twitter.

Now, throughout my time in this SOC class this quarter, I have had the opportunity to not only create for my own organization, but in creating with other SO's as well. As of right now, the tennis team had already been going out to eat after every game, but it was only recently that the new players and the freshmen really got connected with the more seasoned players. We have created an environment where everyone feels included and welcome and where we can goof off and have fun together. This gives us a great attitude booster to prepare for the game, as well as a great way to celebrate each others successes on the way back home.

As for National Honor Society, I worked with Grant Stearns to complete a video to increase support for the Student-Staff Game that took place Wednesday the 28th. With the help of the video, although the LEADERs won for the 2nd year in a row, NHS was still able to raise over $500 for our organization. This will not only support many philanthropies in the years to come, but will be a great starting block for new NHS members next year to take initiative and brand the club as the years pass. They can take what we created for them and use that knowledge to create something for those that will come after them.

In addition to this, I have helped Grace Thurman in creating T-shirts for the "Old School vs. New School" basketball game coming up in March. I have an experimental design that should be really neat if we use it, but I'm mainly there to make sure Grace can complete all of her necessary steps in order to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment